Monday 19 October 2009

Burritos

Last week I was really hungry after school so instead of going home for a sandwich I stopped off to try out the new brasserie on West Lake.  It's called Don's and it boasts an extraordinarily diverse menu from pizza to Vietnamese.  I ordered burritos because Nicholas had had Mexican there the other day and told me the food was "better than at the Kitchen but no more expensive."  So, the only guest at 2.30pm, I sat at the tall bar next to the glowing champagne fridge and the rotating cake deck, I ate my green burrito.  Don was staring gloomily into his Mac at the other end of the bar and asked me how it was.  I said it was excellent although I didn't know much aabaout nmexican food.  It was excellent, and as I ate I realised something very important aboutt burritos.  Burritos, it seems, are as much about texture as about taste.  The filling was smooth and gooey with the cheese mixed in, creating a whole new consisency unlike any burrito I've had.

So  I decided to make a vegetarian version at home.  For the sauce:

2 red onions,chopped
300g cherry tomatoes
2 tins black beans
2 cups water
cumin
paprika
turmeric
a bowlful of grated mild cheese

Fry the onions till golden on a high heat, add the tomatoes and fry briefly, then the spices and beans.  Break open the tomatoes then add the water and simmer till the tomatoes are soft.  Allow to cool slightly then put in the blender and whizz till just short of smooth.  Return to the pan and reduce or add water till it has an oozy, not liquid consistency, then turn off the heat and gently stir in the cheese.

Place the sauce on lettuce leaves on freshly toasted tortillas and roll gently.

 Serve with the trimmings, ie:

hot crunchy salsa
guacamole
sour cream
lime

No comments: