Monday 31 January 2011

Holiday day 3

Last night the Pat Pat policy came unstuck, as Bernard cried and cried, totally unable to get to sleep. My book on sleep warns against this policy as it is vEry difficult to be consistent in the middle of the night, and th is was true for me as I was at my wits' end after spending twenty minutes sooThing Bernard, hoping to get more sleep if he weren't screaming,Managing to get him to sleep, creeping out of the room, climbing under my warm duvet, only to have him wake up again five minutes later as i was dropping into a blissful slumber. That was the point at which I had run out of soothing resources, and i phoned Nicholas while he was at his mum's birthday dinner. "I can't go in to him," I said. We just talked for twenty minutes, and it calmed me down. However, Bernard continued to scream, making it a total of 1. Hour and 20 minutes th at time, and that was after a previous hour of screaming. He did not settle at all. I went in to him, finally summoning the energy, and he was asleep within a minute or two. I stayed, slipping into Nicholas' sleeping bag and lying on our wondrous checked carpet. A short while later Bernard was sleeping with me on the floor, and we got maybe 3 or 4 hours like that, till we woke at 7.30
So today Bernard was sleep deprived and behaved terribly badly all day. He managed lunch in two sittings beca use his attention span was affected, but for dinner he could only choke down a few olives, some pieces of cheese and a handful of raisins, throwing his pasta on the floor.
We went to Joma in the morning and met Preston, 3, who very kindly let Bernard play with his Tonka Trucks, but he really wanted them back so we had to leave in a hurry. We got a short nap and then I made a delicious minestrone soup. After that we went to the park, but Bernard mainly sat on my lap when we were there so I didn't see much point in staying long. He practically put himself to bed at 7, he was so exhausted.
Tonight I have no policy. lets just get as much sleep as possible. If I End up on his floor again, it doesn't matter. He must be teething, I guess.

No comments: